Tuesday, September 8, 2015

August 10 - Finding Comfort in Times of Trial

Have you ever woken up in the morning feeling like somebody must have beaten you in your sleep because you don't feel rested at all and your body just hurts and getting out of bed is the hardest thing you've ever done? Yeah, that's been me like, every morning this week.

This week has not been the easiest of weeks, but those happen sometimes.  Missions are hard, and I'm just feeling that a little more than usual this week.  But, everything that I've been dealing with this week ties back into what I'd like to discuss today.  So here we go:

Something that keeps popping up in my studies and in my discussions with people on the street is the Godhead.  Something I've realized throughout the year is that each religion tends to have a different idea of what the Godhead actually is.  Some think it's all one person -- that God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are all one mighty being. Some think God and Jesus are the same, and the Holy Spirit is something completely different.  Some don't even know what they believe.

To quote the first Article of Faith, "we [as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints] believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in his Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. " They are three separate beings that share the same purpose of bringing the Children of God (that's us!) back home.  There are instances and evidence of this fact in the Old and New Testaments, along with the Book of Mormon (the most commonly known being the baptism of Jesus Christ --Jesus is Baptized, God speaks from the heavens, and the Holy Spirit descends in a physical form to Christ).  They each have their own role.  They each have their own importance.  They each have their own necessity.  Now, I won't go too deep into all three, because that would take forever and I think some of you would just roll your eyes and go "Great, she's going on a rant again!" so I'm only going to stick with one today: The Holy Ghost.  The Holy Ghost has a few roles: He testifies of the Father and Son, He testifies of all truth, He sanctifies (Baptism by fire, anyone?) He teaches, and He comforts.  Today, I'm focusing on "He Comforts".

Throughout the scriptures, the Holy Ghost is often referred to as "the Comforter".  Throughout my life, I have felt the comforting influences in times of trial, fear, opposition, etc.  Right now, I would like to share with you the instances of comfort I have found, especially in this past week.

For those of you who do not know, I have an ill family member at home.  I'm very close to this family member, and I love and miss them very much.  Being away from them during their time of trial and fear is not easy for me.  I also still have Shelley, Trevor, and their girls at home.  Leaving them at the end of last summer was not an easy thing, and leaving them for a whole 18 months isn't any easier.  It's especially painful, because I know that if I were there, I'd be of help, and everyone would have a little less to worry about.  That knowledge, however, directly contradicts with the knowledge that I need to be out here in the mission field, and that my family will be blessed because of the work I am doing.

Now add in the stress and anxiety of moving to a different area in a different country with a different companion.  Add in the trip to the ER this week (I'm fine!) and think about the feelings of stress, fear, and doubt that come with that.  When you're a missionary and all these things keep happening that make it seem like you would be better off at home, it can be really hard to hold oon to the knowledge that you're actually doing the right thing.

I know I'm in the right place at the right time. I know I know that, and I know you know that, because I say it in just about every email.  But what you might not know, is how I know that.  So let me explain:

I have had moments during my mission, and particularly this week, where I have prayed on my knees, bent over so far that my head was on the ground, crying to my Heavenly Father for comfort and direction, begging to know if I really am on the right track or not, pleading for the knowledge that everything is going to be okay.  I have felt sadness, despair and frustration.  But the thing that has never failed to come to me when I ask and search for it is the comfort that comes with the presence of the Holy Ghost.  Every time I fell to my knees in a moment of weakness, the Holy Ghost was right there with me, bringing hope to my heart and peace to my soul.  I treasure those feelings of peace.  They are the same feelings I had when I came home to my family after being away.  They're the same feelings I had when I made the decision to serve.  They are the same feelings that come when I read in the scriptures.  They are the same feelings that will come to me throughout the rest of my life when I ask and search for them in times of trial, fear, or oppression.

They are the feelings that come when I speak, read, or learn of the truth.

I know that every individual is a divine child of God.  He is our Heavenly Father. Jesus the Christ came to earth, He lived, He suffered, and He died so that we may all return to our Father and live once more, free from our burdens.  The Holy Ghost bears witness to all of that.  If you've been paying attention, He may be speaking words, feelings, or thoughts of comfort and truth to you right now.

To sum up: Life is hard.  Missions are hard.  But Brother Juha Toropainen, one of my teachers in the MTC, once gave our class a piece of advice that I will use for the rest of my life.  I actually don't remember the very beginning of it (Sorry, Bruder T - I know where I wrote it down though!) but it goes similarly to as follows: If you ask the Lord for experience, He will give you a mountain.  If you ask for strength, He'll make you climb it.  But if you ask for love, He will always give love."

When I start teaching new people, one of the first things I explain is that we are children of a loving Heavenly Father, and if they only get one thing out of our lessons, it needs to be that.

I am, once again, out of time, so I'll leave it at that.

I love you all, and I appreciate all of your support. <3

Until next week,

Sister Sally Priest

No comments:

Post a Comment